Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Sarah Hiles of Artizen Metal

Artists Statement by Sarah Hiles of Artizen Metal

I am an artist who's favorite material is metal.

All metals.

I love hammers and files and FIRE.

I switched my major from painting to metal at Memphis College of Art in 1995.

Then I hid out at a crafting haven ~ The Appalachian Center for Craft, in rural Tennessee for 3 years. I happily honed small metal skills. There I fell in love with blacksmithing. I made some really neat damascus steel knives ;). Eventually I decided to rejoin society.

In 2000 I returned to Memphis College of Art to graduate with a BFA in Metal(2002).

Since then I have been employed as:
Welder for Local Steel Sculptor
Welder for Steel furniture company
Blacksmith for Architectural Iron Studio
Fine Goldsmith for jewelry designer, NY showroom
Muralist @ St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital
Fine Art Painter for Designer Furniture company

In 2005 I began my own Metalsmithing Company. I have had independent websites, trunkshows, and do craft festivals.

My work changes a lot. Right now I am enjoying the etchings. I like to draw on the metal.
Hope you like them too.


No comments: